If you own an iPhone, you may have wondered whether you need to use a case and screen protector on it. After all, iPhones are expensive devices you want to keep in good condition. But are these accessories essential or just a waste of money?
This article will explore the pros and cons of using a case and screen protector on your iPhone. We will also give you tips on choosing the best ones for your needs.
The Benefits of Using a Case and Screen Protector on Your iPhone
Using a case and screen protector on your iPhone can offer you several benefits, such as:
- Protection: The most obvious reason to use a case and screen protector on your iPhone is to protect it from accidental drops, scratches, and other damages. A case can absorb the impact of a fall and prevent your iPhone from cracking or denting. A screen protector can prevent your iPhone screen from shattering or getting scratched by keys, coins, or other objects in your pocket or bag. According to Apple, repairing an iPhone 13 Pro Max screen can cost up to $329 without AppleCare+. That's more than the price of most cases and screen protectors combined.
- Resale value: Another reason to use a case and screen protector on your iPhone is to maintain its resale value. iPhones are known for retaining their value over time better than other smartphones. But this value can drop significantly if your iPhone has visible signs of wear and tear. Using a case and screen protector on your iPhone, you can keep it in mint condition and sell it for a higher price when upgrading to a newer model.
- Customization: A third reason to use a case and screen protector on your iPhone is to customize its appearance. Cases come in various colors, designs, materials, and styles. You can choose one that matches your personality, mood, or outfit. Screen protectors can also have different features, such as privacy filters, anti-glare coatings, or blue light blockers. You can use these features to enhance your iPhone experience and protect your eyes from strain.
The Drawbacks of Using a Case and Screen Protector on Your iPhone
Using a case and screen protector on your iPhone can also have some drawbacks, such as:
- Bulkiness and weight: One of the drawbacks of using a case and screen protector on your iPhone is that they can add bulkiness and weight to your device.This can make your iPhone less comfortable to hold or fit in your pocket or purse. It can also diminish the sleek design and aesthetics of your device that Apple is known for.
- Heat dissipation: Another drawback of using a case and screen protector on your iPhone is that they can reduce heat dissipation. iPhones are made of aluminum or stainless steel, which are good conductors of heat. They can dissipate heat quickly and prevent your device from overheating. However, cases and screen protectors can act as insulators that trap heat inside your device. This can affect your iPhone's performance and battery life.
- Extra cost: A third drawback of using a case and screen protector on your iPhone is that they can be expensive. High-quality cases and screen protectors can cost anywhere from $20 to $100. If you change cases frequently or buy low-quality ones that break easily, you may spend more money than you save on repairs.
How to Choose the Best Case and Screen Protector for Your iPhone
If you use a case and screen protector on your iPhone, choose the best ones for your needs. Here are some tips on how to do that:
Consider your usage: The first thing you should consider when choosing a case and screen protector for your iPhone is how you use your device. Suppose you are prone to dropping or exposing your phone to harsh environments.
In that case, you should look for a case that offers maximum protection, such as an Otterbox Defender or a Lifeproof Fre. These cases are rugged, shockproof, waterproof, dustproof, and drop-tested.
They also come with built-in screen protectors that cover the entire front of your device. However, suppose you are careful with your phone and only need a little protection.
In that case, you can opt for a slimmer case that offers minimal protection but preserves the look and feel of your device, such as an Apple Silicone Case or a Spigen Thin Fit. These thin and light cases offer little protection from drops or scratches.
A screen protector can also come in different types, such as tempered glass, plastic film, or liquid glass. You should choose the best clarity, sensitivity, and durability for your iPhone screen.
- Read reviews: The second thing you should consider when choosing a case and screen protector for your iPhone is to read reviews from other users. Reviews can help you discover the pros and cons of different cases and screen protectors, such as how they fit, feel, look, and perform. You can also see photos or videos of how they look on real iPhones. You can read reviews online, like on Amazon, YouTube, or Facebook. You can also ask your friends or family members with similar iPhones for recommendations.
- Compare prices: The third thing you should consider when choosing a case and screen protector for your iPhone is to compare prices from different sellers. Prices can vary depending on the brand, quality, features, and availability of the cases and screen protectors. It would help to look for the best value for your money without compromising quality or protection. You can compare prices on online platforms such as Google Shopping, eBay, or AliExpress. You can also look for discounts, coupons, or deals from different sellers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I need a case and screen protector for my iPhone?
A: It depends on how you use and treat your iPhone. If you are careful with your device and don't drop or scratch it often, you may not need a case and screen protector. However, you are accident-prone or want to keep your iPhone in perfect condition.
In that case, a case and screen protector can offer you protection, resale value, and customization. You can also consider AppleCare+ as an alternative to cases and screen protectors.
Q: What are my iPhone's best types of cases and screen protectors?
A: Different cases and screen protectors for different needs and preferences exist. Cases can range from slim and light to rugged and heavy, offering different levels of protection and aesthetics.
Screen protectors can also vary in material, features, and durability. Choose a case and screen protector that suits your usage habits, budget, and style.
Q: How do I choose my iPhone's case and screen protector?
A: You should consider your usage, read reviews, and compare prices when choosing a case and screen protector for your iPhone. How you use your device, how often you drop or scratch it, and what kind of protection you need.
It would help to read reviews from other users to discover the pros and cons of different cases and screen protectors. It would help to compare prices from different sellers to find the best value for your money.
Q: How do I apply a case and screen protector on my iPhone?
A: Applying a case on your iPhone is usually easy. You must snap the case onto your device's back and sides, ensuring it fits snugly and securely. Applying a screen protector on your iPhone may require more care and precision.
It would help to clean your screen thoroughly with a microfiber cloth or a cleaning wipe. You then need to align the screen protector with the edges of your screen and press it gently to adhere to it. You may need a squeegee or a credit card to remove air bubbles or dust particles.
Q: How do I remove my iPhone's case and screen protector?
A: Removing a case from your iPhone is usually easy and straightforward. You need to pry the case off from one corner or side of your device, making sure not to damage it. Removing a screen protector from your iPhone may require more care and patience.
You must lift one corner or edge of the screen protector with your fingernail or a plastic tool. It would help if you peeled it off slowly and gently, ensuring not to crack or leave any residue on your screen.
Using a case and screen protector on your iPhone can have both benefits and drawbacks. Ultimately, the decision depends on your personal preference, usage habits, and budget. Suppose you want to protect your iPhone from damage, maintain its resale value, and customize its appearance.
In that case, you should use a case and screen protector. If you want to enjoy the design and feel of your iPhone without adding bulkiness or weight, you can skip the case and the screen protector on it.
Whatever you choose, make sure you do your research before buying a case and screen protector for your iPhone. Read reviews, compare prices, and choose the best ones.
I wrote an article all about is using an iPhone with or without a case better that I encourage you to read!